At least 58 people were killed when a gunman opened fire at a country music festival near the Mandalay Bay casino on Sunday, October 1, 2017.
As reported, a gunman on a high floor of a Las Vegas hotel rained a rapid-fire barrage on an outdoor concert festival on Sunday night, killing at least 58 people, injuring hundreds of others, and sending thousands of terrified survivors fleeing for cover, in one of the deadliest mass shootings in American history.
Online video of the attack near the Mandalay Bay Resort and Casino showed the singer Jason Aldean’s performance at the Route 91 Harvest Festival, a three-day country music event, being interrupted by the sound of gunfire. The music stopped, and as victims fell bleeding, concertgoers screamed, ducked for cover, or ran.
Sheriff Joseph Lombardo of the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department said on Monday morning that 58 people were confirmed dead and 515 more had been injured. One of those killed was an off-duty Las Vegas police officer, the department said.
The sheriff said there were about 22,000 people at the concert. Read more of the report at The New York Times.